Friday, August 29, 2008

The Friday Five...

With thanks to Singing Owl, over at RevGalBlogPals, we have a Friday Five on the subject of Labor Day. Or, if you prefer, Labour Day. And we do. Prefer. (It's one of those Canadian things.)


1. Tell us about the worst job you ever had.

Well...there was a certain amount of merry "Let's all go and shovel out the sheep barn" activity in the first couple of years of my married life. My mother-in-law had a flock of sheep. It wasn't a job exactly.
On another plane, although shovelling was also involved, I was a marker-of-freshman-essays for about 10 years at Colourful U. That was frustrating...I kept thinking (wrongly) "If only I could get into the classroom, I could EXPLAIN these matters and then THEY WOULD UNDERSTAND."

2. Tell us about the best job you ever had.

Well...other than this one...there was my curacy at 'Tother Purty Church in Town; and there was the "adjunct faculty" position at seminary which gave me an office and faculty privileges while I was still a student, also an honorarium, in exchange for a 3 credit English course every year. That one was definitely full of joy. I could assign all kinds of reading without having to begin by fist-fighting the students over the Basic Assumptions, e.g. Christianity...

3. Tell us what you would do if you could do absolutely anything (employment related) with no financial or other restrictions.

I guess it would be, would have to be...... THIS. Or possibly, THIS, in a different geography...with more pointy bits and more water.

4. Did you get a break from labo[u]r this summer? If so, what was it and if not, what are you gonna do about it?

Yes...eight days driving about in Adjacent Province; a flying visit to Big Fat Eastern Province for a family gathering; a "working break" at a church conference centre in Adjacent Province. And so far that's it. Not enough. And no, I DON'T know what I'm going to do about it.

5. What will change regarding your work as summer morphs into fall? Are you anticipating or dreading?

Everybody chirps brightly about "when things pick up in September" and frankly, my heart quails as I have been running flat out, just ahead of the wolfpack, all summer.

Bonus question: For the gals who are mothers, do you have an interesting story about labo[u]r and delivery (LOL)? If you are a guy pal, not a mom, or you choose not to answer the above, is there a song, a book, a play, that says "workplace" to you?

I can't tell L and D stories here, my offspring read this blog. Workplace songs, h'm -- "Sixteen Tons"???

2 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Ha! You should check out my daughter's blog http://itsmeelinor.blogspot.com for a story and video of Sixteen Tons.

Crimson Rambler said...

Auntie we actually HAD a "company store" in at least one of the mining camps I lived in...