Thursday, May 14, 2009

just in case you're not glad you live where you do...


it's snowing again this morning in Prairie Metropolis...

I am extirpating stale e-mails from the inbox and setting up for the eucharist in fifteen minutes and answering hard questions about the clean-up and refurbishment and repair and renovation going on all around me. Making a fuss about the Royal Visit, you ask me? Oh pshaw no, why would we do that...

Nefertiti the Wonder Cat has a new mission in life. Her relationship with my little table-top fountain (water jet at the top of what looks sort of ziggurat-ish, like a Maya temple perhaps) has been complex. First she drank out of it; then she peered down the central outlet while it was unplugged (naturally inciting us to plug it in and squirt her in the nose); and now, when it's running, it's her Sole Purpose to DEFEAT IT, which she does by scooping flowing water off the sides, flinging it behind her, and standing up with both front paws pressed down on the main outlet: "I got it! I got it! it can't get out!" -- except, of course, sideways under increased pressure, until she, and the living-room, and we are all sufficiently sodden.

Anybody else out there have a water-play kitteh?

3 comments:

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Snow? Ah, you poor things. I am sorry. I know all too well how much the heart longs for spring at this point. Most of the trees here are greened out--a few still bare--and the tulips and daffodills are in bloom. Hoping to avoid frost...

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

My Spooky-cat simply eats the house plants and then regurgitates the product someplace inconvenient, like on the Oriental runner leading to the front door. You see, then the pattern can mask the icky stuff and I can step directly into it when I'm racing out the door to a meeting. Fiendishly clever, that kitteh!

And as for snow, it is 72 deg F here at 9:12 p.m. Summer is here in Virginia, it seems. I'll ship you a few degrees of warmth to melt the snow.

spookyrach said...

I can just see this! Your cat must be a hoot!