Tuesday, May 19, 2009

in which the Rambler...pulls the pin...

So after considerable cogitation, and even dithering (you know the sequence: "I cogitate, you dither, she is hopeless"), I decided that Sunday last, Sixth of Easter, was The Auspicious Day to tell the congregation here at Most Holy and Undivided that the arithmetic indicates that 2009 is the Rambler's Year to Retire from full-time ministry, and from this parish -- without specifying a precise final date.

The Wardens and Vestry want to make a serious start before we are into Deep Summer (when, as we all know, Nothing Can Be Done in Churchland), on the process of seeking and interviewing the next Rector. And it seem easier to do this, without inciting the MH&U folks to their customary paranoia, if it's out on the table that a new Rector is on the wish list. Less tippy-toe-ing about and whispering behind half-opened doors.

Reactions to the announcement were mixed but nothing spectacularly ungracious. To people who made protesting noises at the door, afterward, I just said I didn't want to become "The Previous Vicar of Dibley" -- the one who expired in his prayer desk during Evensong and nobody noticed.

And from now on I can think, overtly, that much of what I wrestle with is about to become "SEP" -- Somebody Else's Problem. This in itself is good for morale!

8 comments:

Joseph Walker said...

I do hope the Rambler will continue blogging after the MHU gig ends.

Kathryn said...

If she tries not to, we'll just have to delay her retirement somehow...
Rambler dear, you're being v brave about this as I know it's a Big Deal.
I'm stunned & impressed that there's any thought of beginning the search process promptly - good for the church but I do hope it doesn't make you feel as if they are planning the next wedding before shoes are cold..

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Retire? Really? Well, I can say that the best thing in mostly bad things about my resignation from Jubilee is that I have said several times in the last two months, "Not my problem! Somebody else's problem!" Will be praying for you and them.

Evelyn said...

Good for you! If Canada is at all like the U.S., I'm sure you won't go lacking for opportunities to continue your ministry on a more part-time basis, if that's what you find you want. My prayers will be with you and your parish.
(Oh, and I do agree with Joseph Walker!) :~)

Hot Cup Lutheran said...

congratulations to you... i'm sure the decision was not easy. oh retiring from ministry... what would that look like? mmmmm...

Terri said...

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to retire...leave where I am, probably...but only to go elsewhere...who knows?

Glad your announcement went well enough and hope the time between now and then is filled with all good things for you and your congregation.

Annie's Mom said...

I have one word for you.

PARTAY!

Diane M. Roth said...

yes, retire if you must, but don't stop blogging...