Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Back in the Real World

The Blog-O-Cuss Meter - Do you cuss a lot in your blog or website?
Created by OnePlusYou

Well, isn't this just...disappointing. But many more days like yesterday, and I might spoil my perfect record. For yesterday, dear Gals'n'Pals, was the day I got the e-mail, from the self-appointed Norn-in-chief at MH&U, to inform me that there were too many candidates for Holy Baptism last Sunday (seven is too many? two adults, five adorable infants? Too many?), and it took away from the SPECIALNESS of the day. Oooooooohhhhhhhhhh LAND O' GOSHEN, I said. Approximately.

I have read that in some Buddhist monasteries there is an official "reviler," whose ministry it is to criticize and insult the other monks so as to keep them humble, "Ha! You call THAT meditating? Pshaw!" We're so fortunate, that crucial role is supported by a whole roster of dedicated volunteers here at MH&U.

That said...maybe it (seriously!) helps keep my feet on the ground after all the lovely, friendly, gracious uplifting messages that have come from you since I posted about my Dad. I've never felt SO supported...and I do heartily thank you.

13 comments:

Kate Morningstar said...

CR -- you didn't mention it today, but don't those complaints about "too many baptisms" increase exponentially when we don't know the babies? "They don't even COME here, and we'll never see them again ...."

Well, we sure won't if we refuse to baptize their babies.

No apologies necessary. What you call now a rant was, in fact, you saying some very sweet things about me. Thank you for them. And, thank you for offering the book. I'd love to read it. If you e-mail me at katemorningstar@msn.com, I'll give you my snail mail address.

spookyrach said...

TOO MANY baptisms? Seriously?

Your revilers need practice. There HAS to be something more plausible they can gripe about.

Too many...wow.

Rev.Dulce said...

OMG....My church would rejoice to have seven baptism's on one Sunday. I have never, never heard of such a thing and believe me I have some expert griper's in my church.

KnittinPreacher said...

wow! How special is it to remember that there were six other people baptized the same day that you were, and that you now have six other people you can say to (when you are old enough to talk) all these people made all these promises for us! They came out for the seven of us and watched as we were baptized.

i am grrrrring on your behalf. I would love to have 7 baptisms on a sunday -- how cool is that!

Auntie Knickers said...

Well, even I as a Congo know that baptisms on Easter are a fine old Anglican tradition or even (whatever outranks tradition) -- so BOOYAH to that person.
My mother used to say "Land o' Goshen" -- I suspect she got it from her father -- and we children thought she was saying "[At]lantic Ocean."

The Lovely Wife said...

I would love to have seven baptism at our church on Easter or for any Sunday for that matter. But Easter is special....the more the merrier my family always says.

Jan said...

Never heard that there could be TOO MANY baptisms! In a Christian church? This is pretty weird.

I'm glad you still have a sense of humor, even in your grief. Love.

suzanne said...

This reminds me of the scene in Amadeus where the Emperor Joseph II tells Mozart that his music has "too many notes."

Still, there is that famous passage in Matthew where Jesus tells John the Baptist that he is doing too many baptisms and the whole thing is starting to seem kind of tacky.....

Rev SS said...

*shaking my head!* at too many baptisms! Just read your past few posts ... sorry about the loss of your father, nice pictures and stories there. And, love your choice of picture for last FF (I used the same one -:)

Terri said...

Oh my goodness....

RevDrKate said...

Just catching up...sorry to hear about the loss of your father, prayers for you and your family.

Too many baptisms, eh? Isn't it amazing what people can get their shorts in a knot about! Sheesh!

Patrick C said...

Needless to say, one should not under any circumstances follow the link in the comment from "guhn."

Perhaps we should turn a reviler or two loose on virus-spammers...

Crimson Rambler said...

Kate, I think you are quite right in this assessment. The other factor is the presence or absence of tokens of affluence, predominant complexion, etc., in the families of the baptizands. Or as one of the Gracious Ones in our midst puts it, "Are they the Good Sort? What we need in this parish, is more of the Good Sort..."
PTUI, I say.