Monday, July 14, 2008

aha, an epoch

...if that's the word I want...

After two good and lively services yesterday, and the obligatory Sunday afternoon coma (aka "dark spell" as in "I feel a dark spell coming on"), Daughter Unit and I had our first ever MEET UP with another blogger! Much joy and much much good talk and many points of contact and common experience, hurray. And lovely dinner (Thanks DU!) A life-enhancing evening in every way.

And I've written "macrame" on a post-it note and stuck it to my bookshelf in case I need a giggle anytime soon. (Sorry, you had to be there...)

A propos of the specifics of clergy-wellness-nappage on Sunday afternoons... what's your norm? Bed or couch/sofa/chesterfield/chaise longue/other? Blanket/duvet/afghan/other? Cats/dogs/other? (I knew a woman who used to nap with her--sizable--pet box turtle, but let us not dwell upon THAT); NASCAR? MLB? Soccer? old movies? mindless action movies with Clint Eastwood et al. blowing up stuff? Tea/hot chocolate/Ovaltine/single malt/other?

Pray do tell.

10 comments:

Annie's Mom said...

What a wonderful set of questions! There's a Friday Five in there somewhere, I'm sure.

My nappage almost always takes place downstairs in front of the TV on the couch; WH and I have an intricate leg arrangement that allows us both to lie and sleep on the couch comfortably. There are always cats. And it's usually baseball or golf or a movie we've already seen.

And dinner was such fun, was it not!?

Josephine- said...

Naps: Couch (bed is too likely to lead to sleeping too long and being groggy the rest of the afternoon/evening),
blanket chosen for weather,
cat (usually),
quiet house.
Bliss. :)

Towanda said...

Definitely a fan of the post-church nap...on the couch, with baseball (preferred) or football (in the offseason) on the TV.

But now my Sunday routine is a bit fouled up, with the new church meeting on Sunday nights. If I take a nap, I'm too groggy...plus I get to church about 3 to set up and prepare. It's very confusing, upturning the 38-year old Sunday schedule...

Diane M. Roth said...

ah yes, the Sunday p.m. nap, a requirement. I usually use the regular bed, rather than the sofa. I always feel kind of icky if I sleep on the sofa, but it's been known to happen. Sometimes old movies as well. our dog is too big to be in the bed, but often is on the floor beside.

Jan said...

What fun to meet up with another blogger! Your energy upsurged again.

Terri said...

Chaise, NY Times, sun, backyard...and before or after nap - pool....

or, if its cold - sofa and fire in fireplace, NY Times...

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

I'd like it to be the couch because then nappage would be shorter, but the couch is short and gives me a neck ache, so it is off to the bed for me--no cat and no husband allowed. The Sunday afternoon preacher nap is a solitary vigil at my place.

Kathryn said...

I'm just adjusting to being in a church where Sunday afternoons are clear, so I'm not a regular adherent of the "Office of Prone", as one clerge of my acquaintance puts it...
but I'm impressed at how easily I could become an devotee (on sofa with cats AND dogs, given half a chance)if only Sunday pm weren't the ONLY time we are ever at home more or less as a family. Heavens!

Mary Beth said...

I nap in the bed, with covers on me and two dogs.

I am not nice if you wake me up! just sayin'.

mibi52/ The Rev. Dr. Mary Brennan Thorpe said...

On the couch, after Sunday lunch. I usually start out reading the NY Times, and fall asleep in mid-paragraph. Spooky the cat often shares nap space. A throw only in the wintertime. My husband adjourns to the bedroom for a simultaneous nap - that's got to be a sign that we've been married a long time - separate spaces. No TV - I want QUIET!

That's Sabbath rest.