Monday, July 21, 2008

catching up on Monday

I am claiming the privilege of the 'Ukrainian calendar' here this morning...to do my Friday Five on Monday.

1. So how did you come up with your blogging name? And/or the name of your blog?

Well, I used to think that if I had a CB handle (yes, I go that far back) it would be Crimson Rambler...Crimson for happy "alumnious reasons" and Rambler because of my nomadic childhood and continuing love of travel; and knowing that a Crimson Rambler was a rather attractive rose also helped. I didn't know until told by I'm still me that there is another kind of Crimson Rambler, a variety of morning glory. (Thanks for the seeds, Me! Not yet planted! but greatly appreciated...). The only other "handle" that really appealed was "The Dalai Mama" but to use it would have been to pirate someone else's idea.

2. Are there any code names or secret identities in your blog? Any stories there?

Code name for the parish -- Most Holy and Undivided -- is actually pretty transparent; parishioners and family members aren't identified except by initials (not always theirs) or by "Unit" names...the cat, however, has been "outed" by her real name, which is Taffeta.

3. What are some blog titles that you just love? For their cleverness, drama, or sheer, crazy fun?

I am awed by bloggers' wit and ingenuity in this respect: "Leave it lay where Jesus flang it";Tales from the Shoeless Seminarian; "Where am I going...and why am I in this handbasket?"--and a MYRIAD others!

4. What three blogs are you devoted to? Other than the RevGalBlogPals blog of course!

Familial blogs -- of course -- and a great many RevGal individual blogs. Check the blogroll! (I'll update it one of these days -- carrying a bunch more on bookmarks at the moment.)

5. Who introduced you to the world of blogging and why?

Colleagues and parishioners sent links to individual posts -- I think one of the earliest was to something Cheesehead had posted; and a year ago or more the Daughter Unit, seconded by her brothers, began on me, "MA! you need a blog!" -- so around the end of September '07 I gave in, she set up my template and got me started. (And three months later she had a new tune: "MA! have you applied to RevGals yet?" -- the story of my life!!!)

And I am unceasingly grateful to her/them for the encouragement (aka incessant nagging) -- and to my blogging acquaintances. WHAT a blessing. It's also been fun saying to other women in ministry, including seminarians -- "Take a look at the RevGals..." and hearing their delighted responses!

5 comments:

Fran said...

Ukrainian calendar! If you saw my last name, you would grant me permanent Ukie calendar status, although I did only marry into it!

To the topic at hand, what a great Friday Five on any day of the week. Very fun.

Thanks for your visit to me, I have seen your name around many blogs and am very happy to make your acquaintance!

Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

Always wondered about your blog name!

Jan said...

This was fun to read, esp. about your blogging name!

Terri said...

My grandfather use to drive a car called a Rambler....it wasn't Crimson though but that would have been an awesome car, I think, a Crimson Rambler...and all the more reason to use it as your CB handler...

Good Play!

RevDrKate said...

And here I always thought it had something to do with being Canadian! The mountie uniforms or something. Go figure....Glad you are blogging and to have met you here.