Sunday, July 13, 2008

egads, a leitmotif

It's always interesting, sometimes a bit of a shock as well, to LISTEN to the lections read aloud by other people after however long I've spent wrangling with them during the week ... the "lines" that jump out of the undergrowth are amazing.

And the great line this morning -- I didn't preach on it, but it would make a terrific office-wall decal -- was Rebekah's complaint: "If it is to be this way, why do I live?"


It just applies to SO MANY situations...

I'd like an anthology of utterances in which the people of God blow raspberries at the whole shebang: e.g. Jonah, "Yea, I do well to be angry..." and so forth.

2 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

"why do I live?" yes, I can see this whole thing on my office wall...

do I want some whine with that?

Crimson Rambler said...

it would work, wouldn't it? Maybe a profitable RevGal retail item, an array of disgruntled wall-decals... "Why do I talk to you at all?" and "What do we get out of it?"
Good fun!

I have a wood-burned plaque that reads "Thou shalt not whine"...the eleventh commandment, I always say.