Friday, November 30, 2007

The Friday Five: Have a Holly-Freakin'-Jolly Advent!!

Please tell us your least favorite/most annoying seasonal....
1) dessert/cookie/family food

Well, I am in deep trouble here, plainly, because I LOVE FRUITCAKE. NOT the supermarket kind, which is way too heavy on dry cake and cheap, small raisins. But the real home-made kind. I love Christmas (aka "plum") pudding also--and that's a topic for another seasonal blog. Is there any hope for me do you suppose? Somebody else mentioned corn -- I admit, CREAMED corn is high up on my gag-o-meter. I guess as regards food dislikes I'm of the same cast of mind as Hoss Cartwright -- somebody asked him once if there was anything he didn't like to eat and after some thought he ventured, "Raw fish and maple syrup?" Although I've seen that on a menu too. In Ferociously Touristy Mountain Paradise: breakfast on one page, sushi on the facing page. We live in strange times.


2) beverage (seasonal beer, eggnog w/ way too much egg and not enough nog, etc...)

Some distaste expressed in the blog-o-sphere for Hot Tom & Jerry (the McGuffin of a great, great Damon Runyon story though)...I don't care for seasonally-flavored coffee. If I want a candy-cane, or butterscotch candy, or egg-nog, I'll go have some, but I don't want any of them or their synthetic simulacra contaminating my coffee.

3) tradition (church, family, other)

I can't think of a single detestable tradition -- maybe because I've managed to extirpate all the ones I didn't care for and then forget them! I guess I could live happily without ever hearing "Winter Wonderland" and "White Christmas" again, though. Too many school Christmas concerts.



4) decoration

Anything emanating from the C*ca-C*la corporation. By the way I saw a GREAT inflatable the other day -- a carousel, and the horses even went 'round and 'round. Come on, gals, it's not about good taste!!!

5) gift (received or given)

Oh my... my grandmother used to give my younger brothers tin DRUMS at Christmas. A certain latent hostility (not all that latent) was perceived in this tradition. But other than that, I think I'd best take a pass on this category...

2 comments:

Rev Kim said...

Great play - I like your #4!

Cathy said...

I love the kind of fruitcake you are speaking of also. Most people haven't partaken of the delicacy...yet.

However, I do like the flavored coffees! :)

enjoyed reading over your blog!